What do Christians stand for? Far too often we have been labeled according to what we stand against. While it is necessary to reject error and falsehood, there is far more that we are FOR. The Lord Jesus has not placed us in this world merely to shake our fingers at it, but rather to point that world directly to Him. The attempt has been made with title such as "pro-life", and "pro-marriage". However, we can go much further than that. The content of the Christian faith is an articulation of what "we believe, teach, and confess", not merely what we hate, fear and loathe.
We stand for the Holy Trinity. In times past the Trinity could be assumed in the United States whenever one used the word "God". Certainly "Jesus" was seen as a reference to the Second Person of the Trinity. Today, with the rise of Mormonism, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and generic New Age spirituality this is no longer the case.
God is three-in-one. That is what "Trinity" means. There are three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are distinct. Yet they are not separate. There remains only one God. When a Christian refers to God, they do not mean some abstract being in the sky, but the Divine One who acts in history, the Holy Trinity who creates, redeems, and sanctifies us. There is no other God.
So, as I tell my students in catechesis, the Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God. Yet there is only one God.
This doctrine is summarized for us in the three Ecumenical Creeds (Apostles' Nicene, and Athanasian). Any who reject these creeds reject the doctrine of the Trinity revealed in the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
But, I know how it is. You want a quick test. How can you tell if someone is talking about the Trinity, or some other God? The answer, as usual, revolves around Jesus. If you want to know if a person speaking with you is talking about the Trinity a good question to ask is this: "Is Jesus Christ the one true God?"
If they answer "yes", then you have a solid starting point.
If they say "no", then there is no possibility that you are talking about the Holy Trinity of the Bible.
Jesus Christ is the one true God. He is the center of the Divine Trinity who acts to save us. May He bless you with His gifts always.
[Tomorrow: We stand for universal depravity.]
Thursday, October 4, 2012
|Fathers, not school nurses, are to protect their children.|
This is just pure evil on so many different levels that I simply cannot cover them all. I could go on for hours on Snyderman's ridiculous remark that if you are anti-abortion you need to be anti-pregnancy. [Actually, if you are anti-abortion you are, by definition, pro-pregnancy. You might be against pre-marital sex, but never against pregnancy. A pregnancy is a life, and to be anti-pregnancy would be anti-life.]
But I digress. What I really want to do, for just a moment, is let my inner dad out of the bag (I have a 5 year old daughter) and say how I really feel about this, so here goes:
To any physician or school nurse...
- if you give my under age daughter any prescription drug without my permission, I will hunt you down.
- if you give my daughter of any age an abortion inducing drug, effectivly murdering my grandchild, I will hunt you down.
- if you perform an abortion on my daughter and murder my grandchild you had better start praying that the Lord God sends a triple portion on His Holy Spirit to calm my parental wrath, because my first inclination will be to end your miserable little life.
- I don't care if every other father on the planet thinks it is the best
idea in the world for you to give hormonal drugs to their kids. You
will not do it to mine and gt away with it.
Then I should also let out my inner pastor.
- I pray the Lord would lead all those who do not value human life in the womb to repent.
- I pray the Lord will watch over my daughter and lead her to make wise decisions.
- I pray that if my daughter becomes pregnant before she is married, even as a teenager, that she will be moved to repent of her sins and see this pregnancy, this child, as a blessed gift from God (Genesis 1:28).
- If my daughter were to have an abortion, or use an abortion inducing drug, I pray that the Lord Jesus would move her to repent of her sin, that He wold move me to forgive her as He has forgiven me (and her), that He would have mercy upon the child, and that He would move me to overcome my wrath and anger toward those who facilitated my daughters poor decision.