Why does God love you?

Have you honestly thought about it?

Have you?

Why?  Why does He love love you?

It is something most people, if they believe in God, take for granted.  "Of course God loves me.  How could He not?"

Well, God shouldn't love you, and that is a fact.  He should not love me either.  I am a reckless, useless, disgusting sinner in His sight.  I stand before Him saturated in sin, wreaking with the stench of it.  I am constantly thumbing my nose at God.  So why does He love me, or you, or anyone?

We could take the Lutheran answer here, the Sunday School answer, and simply say, "For the sake of Christ."

This is true.  God loves you for the sake of Jesus Christ.  But that only pushes the question back one step.

Why did God send Jesus to suffer and die for sinning scum like me?

Do you want to know the real answer?

Do you?

OK, here it is:




I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA!




Isn't that awesome?!  I have absolutely no idea why God loves you, or me, or anyone else.  The Bible never says.  It repeatedly tells us that God loves us, that He is merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, but it never ever says why.

And that, my dear friends, is called "GRACE".

Grace is the unexplainable love of God for sinful human beings.  Isn't that just wild?  I think it is.

So don't waste your time trying to figure it out.  Just enjoy it.  Rejoice in it.  Be thankful for it.

God loves you.  He sent Jesus to save you.  I have no idea why.  I am just really glad that He did and He does.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on the Fall of a Pastor

One Thing Ken Ham Didn't Say, but Should Have

How to Read a Book (especially one written by someone with different beliefs)