"A Hymne to God the Father"

Wilt thou forgive that sinne where I begunne,
     Which is my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt thou forgive those sinnes through which I runne,
     And doe them still: though still I doe deplore?
          When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
                         For, I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sinne by which I wonne
     Others to sinne? and made my sinne their doore?
Wilt thou forgive that sinne which I did shunne
     A yeare, or two: but wallowed in, a score?
          When thou hast done, thous hast not done.
                         For, I have more.

I have a sinne of fear, that when I have spunne
     My last thred, I shall perish on the shore;
Sweare by thy selfe, that at my death thy Sunne
     Shall shine as it shine now, and heretofore;
          And, having done that, Thou hast done,
                     I have no more.

  -- "A Hymne to God the Father," John Donne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on the Fall of a Pastor

One Thing Ken Ham Didn't Say, but Should Have

Why the Resurrection is the Only Answer that Matters