Two Lessons from Two Parents

It is well past Mother's Day, but tomorrow is Father's Day.  Maybe this post can count for both.

The two most valuable spiritual lessons concerning church attendance that I have learned in my life have come from my parents, one lesson from each.

My father tells the story of attending Confirmation classes with Pastor Jording.  The class was talking about going to church, and so the good reverend asked, "How many of you have to go to church?"  Every child in the room raised their hand.  Then Pastor Jording replied, "No, you don't have to go to church.  You want to go to church."

Attending worship, receiving God's gifts, these things are a privilege.  They are a blessing, not a curse.  My father taught me that.

One summer Sunday, as our family of four drove to the early 8:00am worship service, I asked my mother, "Since we don't have to go to school in the summer, when can we stop going to church?"

Without missing a beat she replied, "When God stops loving us."

She does not remember saying that, but I remember it over 20 years later.  We go to church because God loves us, and He will never stop.  He has proven that with the death and resurrection of His Son.

Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching me to want to go to church because God will never stop loving me in Jesus.

Happy Father's Day!  Happy belated Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on the Fall of a Pastor

One Thing Ken Ham Didn't Say, but Should Have

Why the Resurrection is the Only Answer that Matters